Tiggi chats to long time residents of Rodney Stoke, Colin and Jo Symes. They relate wonderful stories from their past, including their participation in the “Maurice Symes Dance Band”. However, their life time passion has always been around the village Church of St Leonards and the community that surrounds it in Rodney Stoke, Somerset. Both were bell ringers and Colin held the position of Bell Captain for many years.
St Leonards Church was built in 1175 with the bell tower added in the 1400’s. In 1664 the bell frame, made of oak and housing a peel of 4 bells, was added. This still exists today, having lasted through the reigns of 40 Kings and Queens and the Commonwealth. The bells have rung with messages of joy, warning, celebration and sadness throughout this time. They will no doubt continue to ring for many generations to come.